Welcome to Chess Hub

Page icon

Medical Needs Service

Image representing the service provider: MNT photo (07-11-2019_1440)

Education of children and young people with medical needs

Some children and young people are unable to attend normal full time schooling for medical reasons. 
Schools may need to seek the support of the local authority for pupils, who are temporarily unable to attend school and who:
are physically ill
are injured
have mental health problems


Accessing the Medical Needs Service

Parents can ask their child's schoolfor support from the Medical Needs Service.
Schools can make referrals to the Medical Needs Service using the Medical Needs Referral form (MN1A). Schools fill in Part A and this must be supported by medical evidence (Part B) from one of the following health professionals:
consultant paediatrician or adolescent psychiatrist
consultant child psychiatrist
hospital consultant

We cannot accept supporting evidence from a General Practitioner alone. The health professional will need to complete Part B of the referral form and return it to the referring school. Parts A and B should be sent from the school to the service either via secure email or post.
We discuss the referrals we receive at an allocations meeting (held fortnightly during term time). If the case meets the criteria set out in our policy the student will be allocated a tutor and a member of the team will contact you to arrange an initial meeting with all parties and put the tuition in place.


Header icon
Templates and policies related to Medical Needs Service
Loading gif
Header icon
Email: admin.mns@cheshireeast.gov.uk

Telephone: 01270 371150

By post: Medical Needs Service, 5th Floor Delamere House, Crewe, CW1 2BJ
Loading gif
Header icon
Link to schools section and referral form. Only available to schools with log in to main site
Loading gif